Conservative.

Today was also kinda boring. Just to share, I am posting about a discussion we had in my family at the supper. 
My cousin bro’s getting married in December this year. Well, here’s the thing. It was meant to be an arranged marriage. Lots of prospects were looked into and questioned. Once it was found that a prospect eloped with her boyfriend at mid night on the day she was visited by my uncle. Then my uncle decided that he would marry off his son to the daughter of another uncle, quite close to us from birth. This way, he would know her beforehand and there would be no questions of character. But my bro’s bit modern. He wouldn’t be ready for the marriage so easily. So both parents allow them to meet and roam together, so that they would get to know each other easily.

Now on paper everything looks simple. Add one more fact, this is India, and this is a Brahmin marriage. Simple? When elders ask my uncle, he says, “They only roam at times, that much. Else, how would they get to know each other?” "And we are not allowing her into our house till marriage," he adds assertively. My father is furious on this and he says angrily, “I am conservative. These things I don’t like at all.”

Suddenly, his whole anger shifts towards girls. “All of this sort happens only because of loose girls. I know boys are bad, but they have some intellect after all. But you give the girls an inch, they will go ahead a mile!” The parents also bear some brunt. “This is too much US-type. If you are modern, be hundred percent modern, why show in front of others those age-old values? What’s the meaning of a big occasion with two Brahmin pandits and a horde of people bustling here and there? I hate such two-faced people.”

Now, for whom those didn’t get the thing, there’s an old rule with most Hindus that a girl is not allowed to meet the boy or even talk to the boy with whom her marriage has been fixed. In my opinion, I don’t know about this rule that much(and I know my father is dead conservative at the core), but I think that when both the boy and his parents are happy with the girl they have chosen, then my bro and my would-be sister-in-law should be in their limits and stop coming under the scanner again and again.
And for those who didn't understand why a careless boy like me is into these heavy discussions, you’ll know it some other time. Have patience. Any comment is appreciated.

Comments

  1. How easily we r adviced dat hey boy dont get ur head into these things nw,these r silly crap matters bt honestly i wudnt b going by it cos i knw how it feels lyk and wat it takes to be urself under the constant bullets of questions from the elders in our society! This post is a true masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love for Nature..My Photography

Twilight

Kiss