The Sheriff


"Why won't you love me," I said, "I am the Sheriff, I save this village from goons. I let your little bastards grow up and become able workers in the county! I look at your filthy ladies with all the respect I can muster! Why won't you love me, then?"

"Dear Sir," the headmaster put up a conniving smile and answered, "You take us in care which is good but that's all you do! Unlike the old man over there. Treating every visitor from his barrels some good ol' malt! Spreading love and good knowledge of the 21st century among those little bastards you despise! Helping ladies burn their midnight lamps and learn knitting, or nursing or some useful chore!"

He said, "That old man you disrespect so much has a big heart," and then he asked, "Do you have a big heart, sir?"

I was appalled at the extent this man looked up to the old man. "That man has wasted his good age in serving unworthy fellows like you, but I.. I, mister, have seen this world, and believe me, in my world, only bed-sharing bitches enjoy respect like that."

"What has gotten into you, good sir," the headmaster quipped, as he rode past in utter dismay. That respect should've been mine, I thought! I've the bigger heart!

By sun down, I had drowned myself with a gallon of beer. The day hadn't gone exactly as I wished. I managed till the path by the Sheriff's Office, my office, and then saw the lantern outside the old man's house - still burning.

What is the old mutt onto at this hour of moon, I thought. I started walking up to his hut. Then I heard it. The sound, pricking my nerves like shit. I've heard all things in hell and on this earth. Still, this one is unheard of. Pounding in my ears.

The sounds got bigger as I got near. Quite possibly those were coming from the old man's home.

He did me no wrong, never had an inch of insult from him! Then why does this sound now haunt me, I thought! When I reached the door, it was unhinged, and was open enough for me to thrust my head for a peep!

That idle hog was sleeping soundly! I walked in - very slowly, so that I might not disturb his sleep. As I reached near - I saw him - in his sleep, he was smiling! He had this air of.. sanity.. of satisfaction around him! Then I heard it loudly, now ringing the flesh in my body.

As I observed, I heard it beating. It was the old man's heart. It was serene, like he had a heart of gold. I stood there, for a good hour, motionless. That sound increased my fury, just as the cracks of the whip that killed my poor mother twenty years back into time.

I had grown up among savage creatures and here is a man, alien to violence, full of love, full of hope. It couldn't be. This is a world of monsters, and he didn't deserve this world! I have to save his soul, I decided.

With a loud yell, I leaped onto the old man. He let out a shriek, but only once! I thrust some cloth into his mouth. Then tied his hands and legs. I quietly sliced open his chest, removed his heart and held it in my hands. There it was, spilling blood of gold all over the floor. Slowly, the sound ceased to irritate me. The heart was dead. It had stopped beating.

I felt relieved. I had saved a good soul from failing. Unlike mine, which failed and turned black, years before. I examined the corpse again. Yes, he was stone, stone dead. His heart would trouble me no more.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love for Nature..My Photography

Twilight

Kiss